Summertime is about to start and, like every year, will bring days on the beach, sunbathes, open air activities, a lot of wonderful ice-cream and many music and art events. The territory of Arezzo shows a rich programme of very interesting festivals. Here are our hints and suggestions:
1) In the town of Arezzo from 7 June to 1 September the first edition of the International Biennial of Art “Icastica” will be held. The Biennial will be dedicated to contemporary visual art and this year is devoted to women artists: over 20 venues throughout the town centre- museums, charming palaces, splendid churches, magnificent squares – will host significant music, theatre, dance, art, architecture and design events through installations, forums, workshops and performances of 40 contemporary women artists from all over the world. Just to mention some of the participating artists, Yoko Ono Marina Abramovich, the actresses Emma Dante, Monica Guerritore, Fanny Ardant: that create a dialogue between the classic and past venues and the contemporary works of arts. Here’s the website!
2) Arezzo Wave, the popular Music Festival born and raised in Arezzo, then moved to other places in Italy and come back last year to its place of origin, will be held this summer from July 11 to 14 a few kilometres away from Arezzo, in the small village of Albergo (Municipality of Civitella in Valdichiana). From urban to country festival, it will occupy a pleasant green area with kids’ area, a small market and one stage where many singers will perform: among others, Ministri (July 12), Marta sui Tubi e Nobraino (July 13), e Max Gazzé (July 14). Free entrance till 8h00 p.m., later ticket of maximum 10 € is applied (the exact price depending on the day). Here’s the programme
3) In a magnificent green area in the Province of Arezzo, exactly in the former Quarries of Santa Maria in Levane (in the Municipality of Bucine), from July 18 to 21 the 8th edition of “Ne Pas Couvrir!Festival dell’Arte” will offer music, exhibitions and performances of painters and poets, writers. Here’s the programme of the 4 days. We won’t miss Saturday 29th headliners, the Italian rock group Linea 77! The participation is free of charge!
4) Moving to the fascinating Cortona, from July 27 to August 4, Cortona Mix Festival, will celebrate the mix, richness and varieties of arts, and their capacity to invent renovating emotions. Among other guests, the writer Alessandro Baricco (July 29), the music group Elio e le Storie Tese (August 1st), the Italo-English writer Simonetta Agnello Hornby and the singer Bjork (August 2). Here’s the programme
5) Still in Cortona, from July 18 to September 29 Cortona on the Move – Festival of travel photography will be held. Exhibitions, round tables, workshops, portfolio readings where travelling, in all its meanings and implications, will be the key element of the whole Festival. Here’s the website.
Extremely interesting initiatives that make the Arezzo – fascinating itself – even more attracting: if you’re planning your holidays or you live in this area of Tuscany, don’t miss them!